Friday, September 18, 2009

Back in the day

I was taking the kids to tumbling yesterday. In the car I had Lily, Lily's best friend Matthew, Emma, Sadie and Ethan. I could here them talking about something, so I turned down the music so I could listen. Because we all know sometimes kids have the best conversation! This is what I heard!


Matthew: "Lily have you ever had cotton candy?"
Lily: "I am not sure if I have or not. What does it look like?"
Matthew: "Well it looks like cotton candy. It can be blue or pink."
Lily: "Mom have I ever had cotton candy? "
Me: "I don't think so."
Matthew: "Sarah, did they even have cotton candy back when you were little?"
Me: "Yes, Matthew they did!"

I couldn't believe that I was getting the "back when you were little" question. It made me feel so old, and really I am not that old. Yes I am getting close to my 30! Yes I have a daughter that is in 2nd grade and is getting baptized in 41/2 months. Yes I am done having kids! Yes I am starting to have eye wrinkles. Yes Josh and I have started to have "THAT" talk with Lily. Yes I have been out of High School for just about 10 years. Yes I have been married for almost 9 years. Yes our kids have NO IDEA what a tape deck is. No my kids don't know what life is without cell phones.
Ok so maybe I am starting to get old! Though I really wouldn't change anything about that. All I can say is that it is very bitter/sweet! And yes Matthew, cotton candy was around when I was a kid! And YES it was just as good then as it is now!!!!

8 comments:

Amy said...

Did you even have tape cassettes when you were little or are you too old??? haha :) I am with you - I am definitely starting to feel older these days.

Christina said...

Yeah, I keep thinking that I am not that old but then I think of how things have changed since I was a child or even since high school (almost 10 years - yikes). It is after all this and my husband telling me I am old that I realize I am not as young as I think I am. Time just speeds along and we can't do anything about it but enjoy the moments and memories of them.

Farley's Story said...

If you are getting old, then so am I. The important thing is how we feel. If we feel young, then we are. RIGHT?

Valerie said...

You should have told him that they did have cotton candy but that you got your drivers liscence for a horse and buggy. Ha that would have been good!
I still feel 17, its weird sometimes to realize that I am an adult and getting old!

Jennie said...

Yeah, try I tried to explain to Katherine what a record was and she thought I was crazy! Even sadder was about a year ago at work we were talking about them and the high schoolers didn't know what I was talking about!! I still feel like 18-19. I had to ask Kellie how old we were just yesterday. I stopped keeping track after I had Clara. I still have those moments when I'm shocked I'm not still in high school or college. It's wierd how it creaps up on you.

Travis and Celena said...

You are not old at all. That is funny though. Kids ask or say the funniest things. I can only imagine what I will hear with my own children when the time comes.

Kim said...

Ha Ha HA!

Lindsay said...

That's hilarious!!! We're not getting 'old' though...we're just getting 'experienced'.